Buffallo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
What kind of goodies are you preparing for Superbowl Sunday?
Here is a healthier approach to your game day grub while also being gluten free. Keep them coming back for more with a twist on the infamous buffallo chicken, without breaking the bank! This recipe calls for two spaghetti squash, making four boats total. Each boat easily feeds two people, serving approximately eight, for under $30! You can plate them like a casserole or serve by each boat.
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 50-60 Min.
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken (or one whole rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/3 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds, stem & veins removed)
- 4 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 cup diced red Bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Ranch and/or Blue Cheese dressing
First things first, how will you prepare your chicken? Personally, this is normally a quick dish for me, so I use a rotisserie chicken from the grocer. IF I have extra time, I will buy a whole chicken and roast it in the oven myself. I find they stay more tender and juicy this way. You can find a step-by-step recipe on how to roast your chicken. You can also boil chicken breasts or boneless thighs, or cook the chicken any other way you prefer.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Take your spaghetti squash, rinse them off and slice them in half. BE CAREFUL and take your time, I wonder how many people cut their hands off doing this. I am against microwaves, but other people say you can microwave them for about 5 minutes to make them easier to slice.
- Prep. a baking sheet, line with tin foil, drizzle and spread a small amount of olive oil, to prevent sticking and lay the squash face down.
- Place them in the oven and bake/roast for 30-40 minutes. Check after 30 minutes, they will be ready when you can easily pierce through the face with a fork. Do not overcook, you do not want mushy noodles. The exterior of the squash will be visibly softer.
- While your spaghetti squash is baking, you can begin to prep the rest of the items. Shred your chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Dice the red bell pepper, green onions, celery and finely dice the jalapeño, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, cheese's, greek yogurt, hot sauce, vegetables, (minus the green onions) salt & pepper.
- Once your spaghetti squash are done cooking, remove them from the oven and while holding each one with a towel or oven mit, scrape the insides with a fork for spaghetti-like noodles.
- Place half of the spaghetti squash noodles aside, you can reuse them tomorrow as leftovers. Take the other half and mix it into your chicken mixture.
- Fill each spaghetti boat and top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Cover the baking sheet and squash in a tent shape (so the cheese doesn't stick).
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, until heated through. Remove the tin foil and turn the oven on to Broil for 2-3 minutes, until you have golden bubbly cheese.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, drizzle with ranch or blue cheese (your preference) and taste before adding a drizzle of hot sauce.
Serve with carrots, celery & bell pepper.
Enjoy & please share your comments below!